Monday, October 22, 2007

A very long weekend...



I apologize for the lack of "real" updates for the past several days. DQ was home sick on Thursday and Friday of last week, but the real news came Saturday morning.

My dad passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack.

He had a bad back for a long time and had been going to doctors for pain shots into his spine every month or so. But those stopped working so he scheduled himself for a spinal fusion last Thursday. That went well and in fact they sent him home from Annapolis to his new place in Delaware on Friday. Then sometime late Friday evening he had the heart attack. They brought him in by ambulance and by midnight they thought he they had gotten him stable. However, he took a turn for the worse and passed away just before 5am. The good news (if there is any) was that he was not concious for any of this time and went peacefully.

Due to the fact that he died within a day of major surgery an autopsy is required and since that may not happen until today or tomorrow, we have postponed final arrangements until this upcoming weekend. That way we could maximize the number of friends and family that could attend. And that means we'll be in Maryland this weekend so we can all say goodbye.

It will be interesting. My dad had a lot of skeletons in his closet, and our relationship suffered for much of the past 20 years as a result of them. We were still friendly, but it was nothing like how it was when I was growing up. The love was still there, but so was the tension. We could talk about football or fishing or the kids, but it never got much deeper than that. However, outside of those skeletons, he was a good person and both kids adored him. DQ is taking his passing especially hard.

He was also a die-hard New York Giants fan, and was very active in an online fan club called Big Blue Interactive. He had made a lot of really good friends there and spent a lot of time with them at tailgates, training camp, or anything Giant related. It was really nice to see they put up a memorial page for him as well as had a message board thread dedicated to it.

These were good people, and very much his second family. I met many of them when I crashed their tailgate party a couple of seasons ago when the Panthers knocked them out of the playoffs. I'm the one out of place in the Panthers jersey, and he's the one in the winter coat with the yellow collar.



Goodbye dad. We'll miss you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Joe",

My deepest condolences to you, your kids, and the rest of your family. I will certainly keep you and your dad in my prayers.

The passing of a parent is difficult; my husband had to deal with that last year, but it really just seemed to hit him THIS year.

A big *hug* to you!

Anonymous said...

My condolences on the loss of your father. I was very close to my Dad and I still 'grieve' to an extent after 17 yrs. I pray a special blessing for your lil girl as she mourns for him and that the autopsy and pending service will all flow smoothly... be safe in your travels and God bless...

Beej said...

I'm so sorry Joe. It'll be one year at Thanksgiving when we lost my Daddy suddenly. I'm certainly thinking about you and your kids.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs...

GeekieChick said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, Joe.

BobG said...

Lost my dad a couple of years ago; my condolences.

LBJ said...

It makes no difference whether we be a child or a grown up, the loss of a parent is a deep sorrow.

My thoughts go out to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Oh Joe....I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this difficult time.
:o(

Gigs

rennratt said...

I lost my mum one year ago this week.

I know how hard it is.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Paul Mitchell said...

So here's what I got. If you get to missing him too damn bad, roll over to the mirror. Damn, y'all could have been twins except for the hair color.