Monday, September 17, 2007

BugFest 2007

When DQ's soccer game was canceled on Saturday as a result of the field being underwater from the storms/tornadoes we had Friday night (I'll post some pictures later) we needed something else to do for the day.

After a quick check of the "What's happening" folder in my e-mail I stumbled across something called BugFest which was being held at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. At the time I thought it was just going to be a few small exhibits, but as it turns out it is actually the nation's largest single-day bug event. We got there with about 3 hours to kill and in that time we made it through about half of the outdoor stuff and never even made it inside the building.

Walking from the parking lot to the museum there was a decent collection of vintage Volkswagen Beetles, including Herbie. (I think he's hiding from Lindsey Lohan, personally.)



From there we saw a bunch of artists covering the sidewalk in bug-art, followed by a station with guys making bug-shaped sand castles.





Once in courtyard, there were lots of different stations, all about bugs. There was a beekeeper station with a bunch of hives inside glass containers. The queen bees were marked with yellow dots so you could find them. Also at the beekeeper station was a large screened in phone-booth contraption that a beekeeper did regular bee-beard demonstrations like most of you have seen on TV. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture. (Duh!) There were also flea-circuses, cockroach races, and butterfly exhibits, and lots of others including the kids favorite: The Cafe Insecta.



This was a lunch buffet where all the food was made with some sort of bugs. On the menu were such delicacies as "Hoppin’ Hunan Stir-fry Grasshoppers over Rice", "Mealworms Marinara", and "Waxworm and Watercress Salad".







And much to my amazement, the kids tried lots of it. They thought I did too, but I faked it. They ate Hush Grubbies, Mealworm Marinara, Ants in Amber (Orange Jello), as well as Bug Bite Cookies.









Once we (I mean they) got done eating, we went and placed our bets on the cockroach races. No matter which one I bet on, I think it died on the spot. They all raced, mine would roll over with it's feet in the air.



On the other hand, DQ got to personally congratulate her winner.



After that we were bugged out, so the kids spent the rest of the time making crafts and pins.







Anyway, it wasn't soccer. But it was still a nice way to spend an afternoon, and we ended up with some great pictures.

4 comments:

Herb said...

It's funny what kids will do. That exhibit would have bugged me, but not as much as Beej's Spiderfest the other day. Why do you think god gave people feet? To squash bugs with!

Carol said...

Sure looks like a disgustingly good time!

Terri said...

Looks kind of fun, as long as you don't HAVE to touch or eat anything!

Beej said...

I heart bugs. That looks like a way good time to me, although I'm with you in that I wouldn't have eaten ANYTHING.