Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Sunday

There weren't too many people that went into the Super Bowl "knowing" the Giants were going to win the game. I was one of those people. Most of my family was also included in that group. As was the Giants online fanclub BBI.

I know what you're thinking. How could you possibly know? The Giants were playing the Patriots. The 18-0 Patriots. The Patriot team that was seriously being called the greatest team ever.

Well, the Patriots didn't have my dad. The Giants were barely a .500 team when he died back in October. His loss not only affected his family, his friends, and the New York Giant community, it actually reached the team offices. At the party we held in his honor, there was a letter written by coach Tom Coughlin. Some of his ashes were taken up to the Meadowlands. I don't know if they made it onto the field, but it really doesn't matter. What matters is that this very mediocre team stopped losing. They won every single game on the road this season. And that's important because all of their playoff games were on the road. Including Super Bowl 42. 42 - The year he was born.

So yes, while everyone was claiming New England was a two touchdown favorite and destined for history as the only undefeated team ever in a 16 game season, I knew better. I knew there were other factors in play.

And I was right.

3 comments:

Trudi said...

Congrats! I love this! I am glad the Giants won for you and your dad!

Paul Mitchell said...

Yeah, how 'bout you send some of your winnings down my way?

Kate said...

Well, I guess I can't be too disappointed that they won now - you never realize how much football means to some people. Congrats Joe.