Monday, February 11, 2008

Tales from the Far Side

Joe's first observation while playing paintball: 6 foot, 2 inch tall guys that weigh 240 pounds make for a big target and may have trouble hiding behind a tree. Joe's second observation: Skinny little 13 year old kids don't seem to have this problem.

GB's birthday party on Saturday went really well. The kids all had a blast, and at the end of the day every one of us headed home covered in paintball paint. My only regret from the party was that I never did get to shoot GB - the kid ran and hid from me. (He did get taken out by his little sister though, much to the amusement of his friends.)

-----

Yesterday was GB's actual birthday so Barbie and I took him out to dinner. Right before dinner Barbie and I discussed the final details of his "gift". We are going to open him up his own bank account. When we decided to do this, the point behind it was to teach him to manage and save his own money. I was left with the impression that meant Barbie and I would split the required $100 opening deposit. But at the restaurant, Barbie said to me that she was putting in $250 and wanted to know if I was going to match it.

Umm... well there's a no-win situation. If I stuck to my guns and said the "gift" was to teach him about responsibility, then I would be told how I was being cheap and it would make the rounds to her family how I had disappointed her yet again. However, if I gave in and matched her deposit, we would be giving him more money than he's ever had before which would totally defeat the purpose of this gift.

Let me clarify myself that I have no problem with Barbie giving him money for his Birthday. But don't ruin the lesson in the process. And don't blindside me with the change of plans.

Well, I did stick to my guns. I said that I wanted the present to be a true life lesson and that I was going to only put in $50. I then suggested that if she had budgeted $250, maybe she could match my $50 for the deposit and then spend the other $200 on something else for GB. That didn't go over with Barbie, so GB is starting up his account with an initial balance of $300. I take solace in the fact that GB is making out like a bandit...

-----

In other news, I'm thinking it's about time to start talking a bit more about K. Things are going extremely well - we have a connection that I have to admit is much deeper than with any relationship I have ever experienced before. And yes, that includes my relationship with Barbie which happened to be very good for many years...

I have spent more true quality time with K since Christmas than I have over any 6 month period with any other woman. Since coming back from NY, our relationship just took off. We've been together for at least a little while almost every single day. If we're not at my place or hers, we're out somewhere in the evening. And if that can't happen, we're matching up our work schedules so we can meet for lunch. Finally on those rare days when we aren't together, we'll end up on the phone for hours instead. We just can't seem to get enough of each other, there is just something unbelievably special about falling asleep with her in my arms and waking up to her smiling face in the morning.

We have the same outlook on just about everything. (Well, except for politics. She's a Republican, I'm an Independant. At least she was never for Romney.) We can finish each other's thoughts. We are able communicate our wants, needs, and desires to each other effortlessly - including the prospects and direction of our relationship.

To make it even better all the kids get along great and are asking about the next time they can hang out. All this has led to a conversation I didn't anticipate having anytime soon. But nevertheless we've had it, and to neither of our surprise we were in complete agreement. Sparing you most of the details, the conversation was one where we discussed the idea of getting a place together sometime in the near future, what that would mean for the kids, and what kind of commitment we would need to make to each other for us to succeed.

No, we're not engaged. No, our houses aren't on the market. But if things continue down the path they are now, one or both of those could change by the summer. She is that special, she has completely captured my heart, and I am madly in love with her...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you buit (and believe me, I speak from experience, as do MANY social/psycological studies on this topic):

Get a ring before you get a moving van!!!!!

Paul Mitchell said...

Sounds like the only thing missing is that damn potter's wheel and Whoopi Goldberg.

Joe said...

Potter's wheel and Whoopi? Forgive me but I missed that reference. (Perhaps a movie I haven't seen?)

GeekieChick said...

HA!! Joe, you have to see GHOST!! ;D

I loved this post, Joe. I'm so happy for you! Continued good luck and love...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I am really happy for you Joe. (And look... you have such a sweet and romantic side to you!) I hope that everything continues to go well for both of you. She sounds great.

Anonymous said...

Oh YEAH, the POTTER'S WHEEL!

I'd wish you a happy valentine's day, but I don't think you need any help.