Friday, July 13, 2007

Seven Habits

I was asked to make a post of seven habits or facts about myself, so here goes...

1. At work, the first thing I do each morning is turn on the radio. I can't work without music. It's permanently set to Sirius 10 - The Bridge, nice mellow rock music that easy to work to.

2. I shave weird. I shave to left side of my goatee for three strokes, then do the right side. Then I'll go back and finish the left side of my face, then the right. Why I do this, I have no idea...

3. I'll get up at 5am to drive to Charlotte so I can start tailgating with friends by 8am for a Carolina Panthers football game, but I won't go to the game. I'd rather sit with a few friends at a nearby sports bar so I can watch with commentary and keep up with the other games around the league while the rest of the gang spends $70 a pop for their tickets.

4. I'm addicted to ice hockey. If I don't get to skate at least once a week I go through withdrawls. I also play because it lets me pretend I'm getting my exercise in this method so I don't have to go to the gym as much.

5. I love coaching my daughter's soccer team, and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm just as competitive as the kids are. It bugs me these days that all the kids have to get the same amount of playing time, regardless of their skill level. I think it's good for the kids to learn that hard work and practice pay off and if they improve they will play more. And on the flip side, I think it's good for the kids to learn that life isn't going to hand everything to them, they have to earn what they get. I believe if they goof around at practice, they should sit on the sidelines during a game instead of knowing that the rules say the get to play regardless.

6. I'm a fantasy nut, and I enjoy getting on the computer and playing Lord of the Rings Online a couple of times a week. While years back I used to play video games all the time, it's still a nice occasional escape for me, especially this one. It really brings the books to life by creating an incredible backstory to the novels -- allowing us to imagine what everyone else was doing while the Fellowship was helping Frodo destroy the ring.

7. I find myself watching stuff on the History and Discovery Channels more than on the regular four networks. Shows like "Ice Road Truckers", "Cities of the Underworld", and "The Deadliest Catch" seem to hold my attention far more that stuff like "Law & Order", "Extreme Makeover", "Deal or No Deal", "The Batchelor" or whatever other junk is on these days.

No comments: