Thursday, July 19, 2007

Raleigh Radiology - Take 3

Today I had my third trip over to Raleigh Radiology. This time it was for an Ultrasound on my bladder, kidneys, and aorta. My only instructions were to show up 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork, and to drink at least 32 ounces of water in the hour prior to the appointment without going to the bathroom.

Now my advice for them in return is that if they are going to ask me to drink massive quantities of water and then hold it for my appointment, please have the common courtesy to be running on schedule. It's bad enough having to pee very badly, it's another thing to know there is a bathroom 5 feet away but I can't use it.

On the plus side, hot MRI doc was there and recognized me first. "Hey Joe, how are you?!" she said with a smile. "I gotta piss like a race horse" would have been the honest response, but out came "Good, you?" instead. The conversation ended there because they called me back at that point.

Now I've seen ultrasounds given a couple of times on my pregnant ex and they seemed harmless enough so I hopped up on the table and let the woman go to work. Unfortunately I didn't realize she would be pressing down on my quite full bladder to do so. (And I thought I had to pee beforehand...)

Thankfully this part only lasted a few minutes and then I was permitted to use the bathroom to releave myself so that she could re-check the area and see how well I was emptying my bladder. (How much was left in there when I was done.) After that, the rest was a piece of cake.
Once finished, on the way out they told me my ultrasound results would be available on Monday and they handed me my X-Ray and MRI results. The good news is both were negative. The bad news is that means they still have no idea what's wrong. I have a friend who's thinking it may be a kidney infection, which tends to make sense -- except that my doctor didn't mention that at all. I guess it gives me something to ask him about at the next appointment, and it would be a GOOD THING (TM) if all it would take to fix this was some anti-biotics... anyway, that's getting ahead of myself here.

That's it for now.

No comments: