Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My first MRI

I had my first MRI today when they went in to scan my back. I've never done it before so I really had no idea what to expect.So, I'm sitting there in the waiting room for about 10 minutes until they call my name. I get up and walk with this nurse through a couple of hallways through the office and end up at the back door. She opens it up and say "Here we are!"

Huh?

We step outside and there is a semi-trailer parked right up against the back of the building. The nurse hits this button and some stairs appear out of the side of the trailer and a big wall opens up revealing this really attractive doctor sitting there at a computer terminal. We sat and chatted a bit, (mostly about whether I had any foreign metal objects stuck in my body somewhere she should know about.) I assured her if she found something, she could keep it.

While the nurse ran off to get some paperwork left in the main building, the doc and I made some small talk. Then much to my delight, the doctor got up and walked behind me and unclasped my necklace. I liked where this was going. Then she walked around in front of me and asked me to take off my belt. Bonus! This was going better than I expected! (Except that she was wearing a wedding ring. And she didn't take anything off herself. And the other nurse came back.)

Anyway, they opened this door in the trailer and there was a really thin table in front of a giant cylinder. She had me lay down on the table and put in some earplugs and then left the room. Over a microphone she said the were starting and the table slid me right into this cylinder. I kind of felt like I was being inserted into a hot dog tube. Or if she had slid me in and out a few times it would have been sort of phallic. Once inside it was kind of cramped so I can see how some people get clausrtriphobic, but honestly it was sort of nice to get a half hour in the middle of a work day to do nothing but lay down and relax.

It lasted just about 30 minutes, and then the nurse got me back out. I got to put my belt back on, but the doctor grabbed my necklace right from my hand to put it back on. Did I mention she was hot? And had a great smile. And a wedding ring...

Well, that's about it. I get the results tomorrow or Thursday and maybe they'll finally have some idea what's going on with my back. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: