Wednesday, December 19, 2007

All in a morning's work

The alarm was set for 6:30am. Or I thought it was. I rolled over to look at the clock at 7:55am. It took a moment for both the time to register, and to remember why I slept so late. I was on the phone with K until almost 1am. But I digress.

I got up, walked into the bathroom, flipped on the shower, and sprayed the ceiling. I had forgotten that yesterday the showerhead had broken off. My shower has one of those nozzles that are on the end of a hose so you can take it down. Unfortunately the holder doesn't sit right so when the showerhead is in the holster it aims fairly horizontal and I am always trying to tip it downwards. Well, yesterday I pulled it and the showerhead snapped right off the hose. Since I was also running late yesterday morning, I just left it and went to take a shower in the kid's bathroom. This morning, I had forgotten about it and when I turned the water on the hose was still attached to the holster and aimed at the ceiling. Now everything is wet. And I had to use the kids bathroom again. (At least this time I took the hose down so when I make the same mistake tomorrow I don't drench everything again.)

Anyway, after that I finished getting ready I got in the car and rushed off to work realizing that I was definitely going to be cutting it close making it on time. About a third of the way there I realized I left the cookies I made for today's holiday luncheon in the fridge. (Yes, I baked. All by myself. And I didn't burn the house down in the process. So there!) So I turned the car around and went home to get them. And realized now I was definitely going to be late. Which was probably why when I got into the car I also noticed I was basically running on fumes and needed to stop for gas.

The only gas station between my house and my office is this old 1950s station on this old country road that I take each day. It doesn't take credit cards at the pump and still has those spin dials that show the price, etc. So after I filled the car up, I was heading inside and held the door for this black guy in a winter army coat and a jeans. After walking up to the register, I noticed the old guy at the register (who looked like he had been there since this place opened) was counting some change in his hand. After a second or two he put a couple of quarters into the register and threw the rest of it across the room. When he noticed my quizzical look, he said "F*cking n*gg*rs!!" And when that look didn't leave my face, he said "They all keep their pocket change in their cupholders and spill soda all over it. It's disgusting. I wouldn't have given him his cigar if he gave me that change first." All I could think is what does that have to do with what color he was. The guy looked like a vet. I'd say that made him a good person in my book. Furthermore, I know I've had change in my cupholder before and I'm sure I've spilled some soda in there at one point. Does that make me a bad person too? Sorry your money was a bit sticky. It happens. Get over it. Sometimes people just look for reasons to hate and it amazes me.

Well, I'm at work now. And I was going to fill in one of those other stories from last week but since there was so much this morning you'll have to wait a bit longer.

4 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

I missed the part of the story that dealt with racism, I read the abreviated line as "Firetrucking naggers," was that wrong? I had no idea what that meant, I thought that it was a regional thing.

Paul Mitchell said...

Oh, and I forgot to wish you a Merry Jewmas or whatever the Hell you cultists call it.

Logzie said...

First off...my shower does the same thing! Frusterating!

Secondly, every single time I am running late...I only have fumes also. I must remember to not do that for the next few months as up here in the frozen north, what's left in my tank could freeze and that would be a problem, I think.

And lastly, what a jerk! That is redicilious! So...only black people spill soda on their change?? That just shows that clerks I.Q. ...and excuse me...who's working in a gas station??...I would have bought a pop or soda as you call it and spilled it all over the change I was using to pay for it and then handed the change to him and said, "does this make me black?"...not really but I would have liked to! I probably would have said something...I am getting more bold in recent years.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the later you are, the less gas you have....it's just the way it is...don't try to fight it.

I can't stand it when people talk like that, but I never say anything because those are exactly the type of person that wouldn't HEAR me anyway. Hatred.....all it does is breed more hatred.

*sigh*