Thursday, August 30, 2007

Damn... (UPDATED!)

Dangit. My old digital camera broke. Now I'm going to have to go to Best Buy and get me a new toy.

Can you tell how broken up I am about it?

UPDATE: Well, I just got back from Best Buy and I have my new toy after my old camera faced a horrible demise when one of the kids left the camera IN our soft cooler (right in the ice) instead of in one of the waterproof side pockets. I didn't know it was in there, and when the ice melted the camera got it's insides wet. Now it's dead.

My new toy is an Olympus Stylus 770SW, which has been designed to be kid-proof and Adam-proof.

It's encased in kryptonite I think, which makes it shockproof for drops of over 5 feet, and crushproof up to 220 pounds. (That means if I lose 20 pounds I could jump up and down on it if I wanted!) It's also freezeproof. And freezeproof is more important than you think. Case in point: the last time I went to the grocery store I put our bananas I bought in the freezer. Those weren't freezeproof. When I discovered them the next day, they were brown and covered in ice crystals. And when I took them out to thaw they turned black and mushy. No, bananas are not freezeproof.

My favorite feature is that the camera is also waterproof up to 33 feet. Which means we can take it snorkeling and get underwater shots. Or I could climb into the tank with the zoo tiger and get extreme closeups.

Finally, it takes pictures too! It will take regular pictures up to 7.1 Megapixels, which means I can take huge pictures that I can print in poster size without a loss in quality. Not that I have any plans to print pictures of me in poster size. I'm not sure anyone wants to see closeups of my zits and boogers.

Considering my old camera only took pictures up to 6 Megapixels, I'd say this was an upgrade. And since I bought a 2 gig memory card, I can also take up to 1 hour of video with it as well. Think about it - underwater video! The possibilities are endless! And yes, my mind has gone into the gutter!

Since I couldn't take a picture of the camera WITH the camera, you'll have to deal with a stock photo I found online:

No comments: