Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Not June 21st

I know I haven't said anything but K and I had been considering a June 21st wedding. Yes it would have been very short notice, but the schedule of events would have worked perfectly for us. However we couldn't find a venue that would give us exactly what we wanted without breaking the bank. We had one that would have been really nice and we were all set to move forward with it but they wouldn't budge on the price of their alcohol. We even suggested that we will bring in our own alcohol and let them serve it. However, while they said they would do it, they charge a $20 per bottle "cork fee" to do so. That's absurd. $5 to $7 per bottle is fair to make sure their staff gets paid. No more than that though.

Anyway, it's just not worth it to settle for something we wouldn't be happy with, and doing away with the open bar or skipping alcohol altogether isn't an option. So now we're going to look at something in the fall and we'll no longer be rushed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were going to do it again, I'd skip the big wedding, go to Vegas, and get married by an Elvis impersonator. But that's just me.

Kate said...

While the plans and details did seem overwhelming sometimes, I would not change a thing about my wedding day. They can really try to screw you over with the fees, but it's good that you're not settling for that. Good luck with the planning.

brandy101 said...

Best of luck in your planning!

Anonymous said...

June is a great month for a wedding

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've been gone awhile. I am so happy for you- it is about time you had some happiness. I personaaly think you should go big for the wedding and honeymoon: The exchange rate in South Africa is very favourable; do the whole shebang here and I would be able to come too!

Paul Mitchell said...

If I had to pay a 20 buck cork fee for my friends, the cork fee alone would be one million dollars. That's how they roll.

Anonymous said...

"it's just not worth it to settle for something we wouldn't be happy with"... I think that is most appropriate for a marriage (as well as a wedding).

If I were to do it again, we'd go to the JOP, not invite the in-laws, and pay ourselves the cork fee.